Katherine Turner's Zucchini ItalianoTo weight-loss winner Katherine Turner, who worked as a billeting and food-services manager for American troops, we say "Grazie!"
|1 can(s)||(28-oz) diced, tomatoes|
|2 clove(s)||(minced) garlic, or .25 tsp. garlic powder|
|2 tablespoon(s)||(chopped) parsley, or 2 tsp. dried|
|2 teaspoon(s)||(dried) basil|
|1 ||bay leaf|
|4 ||zucchini, about 1.25 lbs.|
|1/2 cup(s)||(shredded) fat-free , mozzarella cheese|
|1/4 cup(s)||(grated) Parmesan cheese|
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine first seven ingredients. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cut zucchini into ¼-inch-thick rounds and sprinkle with salt. Drain on paper towels while you heat an indoor grill or stove-top grill pan to medium-high.
- Coat grill pan with nonstick cooking spray. Grill zucchini for 4 minutes, or until slightly softened, turning over halfway through.
- Remove bay leaf from sauce and pour half the sauce into pie pan. Arrange half the zucchini slices on sauce. Top with ¼ cup mozzarella and 2 Tbsp. Parmesan. Repeat layers, using remaining sauce, zucchini and cheeses. Bake for 40 minutes, or until center is bubbly.