Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Sweet Potato

Whenever I think of fall, I think of sweet potatoes, pumpkins and all the wonderful fall foods. Sweet potatoes being one of my favorites. I checked the nutritional value of sweet potatoes and find them worth adding to my diet and worth sharing.

There are only 130 calories for a medium sized sweet potato. It is loaded with nutrients and has a low glycemic level. It digests slowly so you stay satisfied longer. They are listed as good carbs.

Here's a link for more nutritional information on sweet potatoes
www.foodreference.com/html/sweet-pot-nutrition.html

My favorite way to fix it is as a side to my meal. I simply bake it with skin on till tender then I top it with Neufchatel cream cheese. This type of cream cheese is less than half the calories of butter. It really compliments the sweet potato very well.

Of course I love sweet potato pies too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Charlie,

I used to hate sweet potatoes, but when I married a man who loved them, I tried really hard to endure them for his sake. I really love them now, but sad to say, I put brown sugar and butter on them. I'll try it your way. It sounds very tasty. Thanks for the tip!

Kathryn :-)

analyticalwon said...

I really like sweet potatoes as well. But like Kathryn, I like some butter on mine. (I do use a healthy low fat margarine if that makes it any better.) The sad part is that I can eat them cut up with just the butter, but if it's baked I skip out on the butter and and put about 10 of those tiny marshmallows on the potato. Does anyone know of an alternative to a marshmallow? =(

Unknown said...

I was looking at buying some yesterday. Oh I should have. jeje

I will have to start getting them. Can't wait for thanksgiving.

Dani Joy