Bright vegetables (like bell peppers and tomatoes, which are filled with vitamins A and C) take center stage in this dish.
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3/4 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 oz diced smoked turkey sausage
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion and bell pepper over medium-low heat, stirring, 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium; add sausage and garlic; cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender, 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and oregano; season with salt and pepper; simmer until most of liquid evaporates, 5 minutes. Whisk eggs, egg whites and Parmesan in a bowl; add salt and pepper. Heat a medium skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat; add egg mixture, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring, until eggs are set, 3 minutes. Top with tomato mixture and chives.
SERVE WITH Four roasted fingerling potatoes per person. Toss with 1 tsp chopped garlic; 1 tsp olive oil; 1/2 tsp chopped rosemary; salt and pepper. Bake at 450° for 25 minutes.