Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Tim's healthy whole wheat pancakes

My husband is a morning person so our normal days begin with him getting the kids up and ready for school and getting breakfast ready. This allows me to get an extra 30 or 45 minutes of sleep and then I get dressed and take the kids to school while he has his Bible time and works out. When we were having the nix the fix week he came up with these pancakes and put the recipe on the livestrong My plate site to find out the nutritional value. Turns out they are a good option for breakfast for me -- I was stuck in a bran flakes rut and was looking for something else to have but that wouldn't use up too many of my calories. These are only 221 calories per serving (3.5 pancakes). I think he may have substituted the sugar for honey or brown sugar but I am not sure. I had some the other day and instead of covering them with syrup like I normally do, I cut up some fresh strawberries to put on top, then dusted them with the teeniest amount of powdered sugar (I think it was less than a teaspoon) and they were FABULOUS. Filled me up and satistfied my sweet tooth with the fruit without filling me full of empty calories.



Tim's whole wheat pancakes


Ingredients


Mix the dry ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients and mix. Cook on a griddle until lightly brown on both sides. Leftovers can be wrapped in Saran Wrap or in a ziploc bag and refrigerated. Simply reheat in the microwave or pop in the toaster to warm them.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 3 1/2 pancakes

Amount per Serving

Calories 221
Calories from Fat 28.6

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 3.18g
4%
Saturated Fat 1.58g
7%
Cholesterol 77.98mg
25%
Sodium 441.53mg
18%
Total Carbohydrate 38.63g
12%
Dietary Fiber 4.98g
19%
Sugars 9.2g
Protein 10.32g
20%

Est. Percent of Calories from:

Fat
12%
Carbs
70%
Protein
18%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calories needs.



Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/daddii-s-whole-wheat-pancakes/#ixzz1ImNZ414r


Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/daddii-s-whole-wheat-pancakes/#ixzz1ImNN4EEH

2 comments:

Cindy B. said...

Sounds delicious. Do you think Tim will make breakfast for us when you come to my house?

Charlie said...

Sounds good. I will take pancakes over Bran cereal anyday.