Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Small Diet Changes

It can be overwhelming trying to lose weight. We look at the "big picture" and think, "There's no way I can do that for the rest of my life!" But, I think it is the small changes that make the difference. Here are a few small things that can add up and make a big change in our lifestyle:

1. Instead of having another cup of coffee or tea (especially if it's cream and/or sugar-laden!) drink a glass of water.

2. Try adding ice and lemon, lime, or cucumber to your water.

3. Craving something sweet? Eat a small square of dark chocolate. Or just have ONE bite of whatever it is you're craving instead of a whole piece.

4. Don't take seconds. Let your food settle until you figure out if you're REALLY still hungry or not.

5. Have a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. My go-to breakfast is: 1/3 cup oatmeal with half a chopped apple, LOTS of cinnamon sprinkled on top, then add 2/3 cup water and nuke in the micro for 2 minutes. Add a bit of brown sugar and you are good to go! This breakfast keeps me full for most of the morning!

6. Have a smoothie for lunch or dinner. I cut up almost-overripe bananas and freeze them, and then when i want a smoothie, all I do is blend up some of those frozen bananas in some milk, and voila! A healthy and delicious smoothie! Add some frozen strawberries, pineapple or mango to change up the flavor combination a bit.

7. Don't eat anything after a certain time. For most people, 8 pm is a good time. Since I eat dinner earlier and go to bed earlier, 7 pm is my benchmark. Anything I eat after that time is generally unhealthy because I'm just munchy and craving sweets. If I tell myself I'm not going to eat anything at all after that time, I just don't give in to the munchies at all, healthy or unhealthy.

Well, I have a few more but this is enough for now, I think. Maybe I will have to do a Part 2 some other time :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great tips, girl! Love em! I especially like the smoothie idea. Gotta try that.

Keep up the great job!

Dani Joy

Sarah W. said...

These are great tips Sarah!! Most of which I have tried at some point, but fell off the wagon! :) Thanks for the good reminders. I especially like the no eating after a certain time.....that one always helps me!

Dani Joy.....no sweets this week. I think you might be killing me! :) ha! Just kidding.....this is actually good!!!

KathyH said...

The dark chocolate tip really works! Even though Dani told me about it ages ago I was resisting. I so love my chocolate.

Now I get myself a square of 85% dark chocolate and a small glass of 1.5% fat milk (the lowest fat fresh milk avaliable here). Chocolate craving gone and no guilty feelings unlike after a 100g Milke bar.