It can be overwhelming trying to lose weight. We look at the "big picture" and think, "There's no way I can do that for the rest of my life!" But, I think it is the small changes that make the difference. Here are a few small things that can add up and make a big change in our lifestyle:
1. Instead of having another cup of coffee or tea (especially if it's cream and/or sugar-laden!) drink a glass of water.
2. Try adding ice and lemon, lime, or cucumber to your water.
3. Craving something sweet? Eat a small square of dark chocolate. Or just have ONE bite of whatever it is you're craving instead of a whole piece.
4. Don't take seconds. Let your food settle until you figure out if you're REALLY still hungry or not.
5. Have a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. My go-to breakfast is: 1/3 cup oatmeal with half a chopped apple, LOTS of cinnamon sprinkled on top, then add 2/3 cup water and nuke in the micro for 2 minutes. Add a bit of brown sugar and you are good to go! This breakfast keeps me full for most of the morning!
6. Have a smoothie for lunch or dinner. I cut up almost-overripe bananas and freeze them, and then when i want a smoothie, all I do is blend up some of those frozen bananas in some milk, and voila! A healthy and delicious smoothie! Add some frozen strawberries, pineapple or mango to change up the flavor combination a bit.
7. Don't eat anything after a certain time. For most people, 8 pm is a good time. Since I eat dinner earlier and go to bed earlier, 7 pm is my benchmark. Anything I eat after that time is generally unhealthy because I'm just munchy and craving sweets. If I tell myself I'm not going to eat anything at all after that time, I just don't give in to the munchies at all, healthy or unhealthy.
Well, I have a few more but this is enough for now, I think. Maybe I will have to do a Part 2 some other time :-)