Monday, November 21, 2011

Encouragement.....

Hello Ladies!

I hope you are all having a good week. I keep meaning to post more on this, but I am not so good in the blogging department. I think many years of maintaining a blog have left me a bit blogged out. :) However I do want to share a few things that I have learned this year as I started making my way through Lysa Terkeurst's book "Made to Crave". I got my hands on this book at the beginning of this year and it's changed my life! If it's one thing I have learned it's that sometimes we have to change whats going on in our hearts and minds, before we can change what is going on in the outward. I remember having a conversation with the Lord a few months ago when I was complaining (okay..whining) about having this issue with my weight. I was seeing all these changes on the inside but still not seeing changes on the scale or in my clothes. He gently reminded me (isn't He good like that? :)) that what was taking place on the inside of me was the most important! Because when pressure comes......it's our center, our cores, our hearts that need to withstand the pressure. In essence, we need to have baked centers. :) So I am seeing that the Lord is cooking my center and let me tell you......there have been some pressures that have come these last few months. Most would have normally lead me down the path of self soothing over some chocolate cakes and salty chips! But ladies, I have learned to draw my strength from Him. Just now, am I starting to see those outward changes coming....just 10 months after changing my thinking. Our minds are very powerful. The enemy knows if he can get in our minds.....well it's all over.

I just just want to encourage you with something from the book......

"Whatever it is, if we are really going to stop circling the mountain and head north towards lasting changes, we have to empty ourselves of the lie that other people or things can ever fill our hearts to the full. Then we have to deliberately and intentionally fill up on God's truths and stand secure in His love."

We were made for more. Take those lies and put His truths around them. Once we do that.....when those lies come into our minds, we have His Word and His Truth to take them down. I even had to write a few of those down so I had them ready! :) I hope this encouraged someone today. I know there are so many who struggle with issues of food and emotional eating. I lived in silence and shame for a long time. I am still learning, but each day I feel a bit stronger and more victorious.

2 comments:

Sarah DeSalvo said...

Those are good thoughts - thanks for sharing! I am definitely going to have to get my hands on a copy of that book :-)

CindyP said...

I am late in reading this - but needed the inspiration for the new year. I hadn't thought about my turning to food when I am grumpy, sad, etc as not turning to God. WOW! Thank you so much for sharing.
Cindy