Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Run Your Race


I was walking on the high-school track the other night feeling pretty darn good about my three miles.
Heck, I even pumped an arm or two during my imaginary race around the circle.

That is, until Granny showed up.

This woman, who is considerably older, heavier, and more wrinkly than I, moved faster than the speed of my first car.

Huh?

Every time I think I'm doing all I possibly can in regards to health and fitness, I look around and find an older person who can run laps around me.

It pushes me to do more and reminds me that I can do hard things.  And, so can you!



You see, if left to my own devices, I’m just not a cardiovascular overachiever.  I’m more of a buy a cute pair of yoga pants and stroll around the block type of gal.  Sure I’d love the legs of a runner, I just don’t want to have to run to get them.

Osmosis anyone?

Maybe if I fall asleep to Chariots of Fire, I’ll wake up with legs of steel.

Ah, fugettaboutit.

I know the Lord is calling me to more, to do more and be more.
Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
 ~Hebrews 12:1-2

I'm not confused, I know this is a faith verse and not a run around the track verse, but isn't this life just like a race?  

God calls us to run with patience or endurance, all the while looking to Jesus.  If we're going to run our race of life well, we need faith.  Most definitely!  In fact, I wrote a 31 Day series on Living by Faith last fall; however, if we're going to run well, we need bodies fit enough to keep us moving forward.

That's what we're trying to do here - to bring our bodies into subjection, so we can be in subjection to the Lord in order to run our race well.

So, girls, let's get running!  (Literally or figuratively, you decide.)
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this post!! I am sooo gun ho for this!! Great great!
Let´s keep these bodies under subjection, these cravings, these fatty arms, these ever growing thighs! I dedicate to do have victory in these areas!
Thanks for this!