Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Slimming Down in Siberia

Hello, my name is Tami. Along with my family, I live in Siberia, Russia. We are missionaries here. I am 36 years old, and I have been married to Steve for 16 years. We have lived in Russia since 2000. The Lord has blessed us with 3 children: Ashley, 12, Andrew, 10, and Melissa, 6.


I have been thin most of my life until our last furlough, a little over a year ago. During the furlough, I gained some weight, which I have not yet lost.


I want to do this challenge, because I want to lose weight, and feel better about myself. I am also an RN, and worked for a few years in a Coronary Care Unit, and know the value of maintaining a healthy weight for your health. I have a family history of both heart disease and cancer on both sides of my family, and I want to lower those risk factors by eating properly and maintaining a healthy weight for my body.


I am 5'3", and currently weigh 127. I would like to weigh 112, which is the weight I was all through high school, college, and until my children were born. After my pregnancies, I was always able to get back to my normal weight. After my youngest, I noticed about a year after I quit nursing that the weight was starting to creep up on me. When we left for furlough I was about 5 lb. more than I wanted to be.


In Russia, we do not have fast food restaurants, and so I waited 2 or 3 years thinking about eating all my favorite foods. When we were on furlough, I pretty much ate all the things I had been wanting to eat, and now I am left with 15 extra pounds that I want to lose.


I am sorry this post is late, but I spent half the day trying to figure out how to post. I know many of you are probably experts at this, but this is pretty new for me.


I stay busy homeschooling my children, helping occasionally in Sunday School, teaching English to 2 groups of children, and doing Bible studies.


I look forward to getting to know some of you through this challenge.


Tami




2 comments:

Mary said...

Wow, Tami, you don't look like you need to lose an ounce! But you know your body, and being an RN, you know the health risks, too. I'm glad you're joining in...I think you'll have a lot to share with us each day. Your first post was perfect...just sharing about you,your life, and your goals is what its about.

I once saw movie filmed in Siberia...cold, cold, cold!

God bless,
Mary

Beth in NC said...

You look thin and beautiful Tami. It is great to meet you and God bless you guys for being missionaries!

I pray you reach your goal.

Love,
Beth