Friday, October 8, 2010

Christmas Crunch Kick Off

Hi, everyone, I'm Charlene Crawford (I go by my nickname, Charlie) and I am 45 years old. I am so excited that Dani has invited me to join the Christmas Crunch 2010. I started to do the Christmas Crunch 2009, but my life got to be too complicated with new stresses. However, I am back and plan to stick with it this time. Thanks for not giving up on me, Danielle.


I've known Danielle and her husband, Joseph, for many years now. Not only do I consider them forever friends, but I consider them family. It is so exciting to see their children growing up and I'm amazed that even though they and my son do not see each other often, when they are together they play and get along as if they see each other all the time. I guess when you are part of God's family, no matter how far apart we are, we still feel a connection.


Okay, now back to introducing myself for those of you that do not know me. I live in Tucson, AZ with my 10 year old son. I have homeschooled my son from pre-school through 4th grade. This year, I enrolled him in Arizona Virtual Academy, which is still done from home. I am still very much his teacher, in every sense of the word. I love teaching him and as God wills it, will continue to teach him.

A couple of years ago, I was a whopping 172 pounds. I was always tired and had a hard time keeping up with my son. I went to the doctor for a check-up and he made me realize that my health problems were not only due to my stress level but also my weight. My cholesterol was elevated and I needed to do something.


My Dad was diagnosed with cancer and my Pastor also had stage 4 cancer. I told them about the Hallelujah Diet (which I was on before my son was born.) and we decided to go on it and to encourage each other.



After a few months I lost 30 lbs. I felt great and was able to do some serious hiking again. To the right is a picture of me and my son hiking in Sabino Canyon. I just felt like I had so much energy.


My Pastor has been cancer free for over 2 years now, pretty amazing for someone that the doctor only gave a few months to live.


My Dad, however, passed away in May of 2009, just one day short of a month after my Mom passed away, in April of 2009. He lost his battle to cancer. It was very hard for me, and little by little I started picking up bad eating habits. I had too many things to take care of, and I just didn't have the time for me anymore. It took me a while to realize that the Lord had his reasons and that both of my parents are much better where they are now. They are with Jesus, and what can be better than that. They are experiencing no more pain and no more sorrow.


In the process of all of this, I gained 10 lbs. back. This is me now at 152 lbs. I would like to loose 12 lbs. to be out of the over-weight range. I still feel good, but know that I could do better. My goal is to walk at leat 4 miles, 5 days a week and do 30 minutes of strength training at least 3 times a week. I am also more conscious of my eating habits and will cut back on my processed foods and start eating more whole foods.


With the Lord's help and guidance, I'd like to be an encouragement to those around me and being fit enough to keep up with my son.


To God be the glory!!!!!!

5 comments:

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

HI Charlie, It's so nice to meet you.
It sounds like you've been through a lot but I know you can do this. It seems that most of us are trying to lose that last 10-15lbs. It's the hardest of them all.
Can't wait to get to know all the ladies better.
Have a fabulous day!
Kim

Unknown said...

I love how you introduced yourself. I´ve known you for years but, didn´t know some of these things. ;) So thankful to the Lord for bringing you through.

He will give us strength to keep going. What I love is that you are doing this to help motivate and encourage others too! Thank you!

Go crunch it, girl!
Love
Dani Joy

Lynn Lopez said...

Hi Charlie! This is Lynn in El Paso. I believe we've met before through Mrs. Jacobsen @ NECA. This is so cool that we are doing this challenge together. I can't wait to see all the success stories! Well, let's press on sister! Crunch away!!!

sherry said...

Hi Charlie, You look so pretty in your picture on the balcony (: Cant wait to share in your success!
Sherry

Annie said...

Hi Charlie, I am so glad you are on this Christmas Crunch with Gen and me. I am praying for you and hope to see God working in your life in a mighty way. You are a precious child of God and I love you as a dear friend.

Anne