Sunday, February 27, 2011

Spinach Salad recipe from Alice D.

This is the recipe for the spinach salad that I made Thursday and then ate at the park on Friday. I love the dressing. It has sugar so it is not the best for you but you can experiment with sugar substitutions if you want. I use so little of it on my serving that I would rather just keep it as is. The recipe is written out as I got it off allrecipes.com but at the end I have added the changes that I make to the recipe when I make this salad. When I saw the first strawberries of the season for sale at the market last Wednesday I knew I had to buy some and a bag of spinach.


Spinach Salad

Ingredients
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup ketchup
1 small onion, chopped
5 slices bacon
3 eggs
1 pound fresh spinach - rinsed, dried and torn into bite size pieces
1 (4 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained

Directions
In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, vinegar, oil, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and onion, and process until smooth. Set aside.
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.
In a large bowl, toss together the spinach, water chestnuts, bacon and eggs. Serve with the dressing.
Nutritional Information 
Amount Per Serving Calories: 433 | Total Fat: 36.3g | Cholesterol: 98mg

My changes:
I omit the water chestnuts. I add one small cucumber, cubed. Sometimes also some chopped red bell pepper. Also 6 or 8 fresh strawberries, sliced, if in season. If strawberries aren’t in season then I add one small can mandarin oranges, drained well.
I cut the dressing recipe in half. Depending on the kind of onion you use, cut the onion amount even more or it will have a really strong onion flavor. Even then, there is more dressing than what you need for a large salad. Dress each serving individually and store the remaining salad dressing in a jar in the fridge to use later.

2 comments:

Charlie said...

One way to make this dressing a bit healthier is to substitute the sugar with either honey or agave, and maybe use less. Agave is sweeter than sugar so less would go along way. Lean turkey bacon for the bacon. Use extra virgin olive oil instead of veg. oil and maybe use half.

I like the substitutions you've made with the fruits. I do that sometimes too. I love strawberries, actually any berries and grapes in my salad to add a touch of sweetness. I like water chestnuts, but in this salad cucumbers do sound better.

Unknown said...

This sounds great. I think I would def. substitute the sugar.

Great recipe! Thanks for posting.

Dani Joy