Monday, February 28, 2011

Baking/Cooking tip

I have seen on a few other posts comments about baking with whole wheat flour. I just thought I would let you all know what I do. I have changed almost all my bread, muffin, etc. recipes to use 1/2 whole wheat flour, 1/2 white flour. I, at least, have never had a problem with consistency this way. I continue with the rest of the recipe as it was orginally. Also, in the last months I have started reducing the amount of sugar when I bake. I have found you can usually cut out up to 1/3 of the amount without noticing a change. I don't bake a lot, but when I do, I have enjoyed making these changes to make my recipes more healthy. Also, 1 tip I found online sometime back - when baking with whole wheat flour, add it in last, and stir as little as possible. This keeps the batter from getting too heavy. Also, of course, many of you probably already know but substitute some or all of your oil with sugar free applesauce. And then - continue to enjoy baking!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I gotta try some of these substitutes. Wanted to make chocolate chip cookies but have been avoiding it. LOL

Vicki King said...

When I make cookies, dani, I always make them with oatmeal and then whatever else I want to add. The oatmeal is SO healthy! and I love the added texture.

~Catherine~ said...

I found out after a mistake leading to "lead bread" (serioulsy he was heavey bread) that you can use all whole wheat flour to make bread but you have to use approx 1.5 times the amount of yeast to make it rise :) thanks for the tips though I don't bake often enough!
Dani remind me on FB and I'll get you a great oatmeal/dried fruit cookie (I promise it tastes better than it sounds) I'm sure you could toss in a few chocolate chips with out makeing thes realitivly healthy cookies to bad ;)