Sunday, April 3, 2011

Carbs and hunger




Two weeks ago I purposely stayed away from "obvious" carbs because I was noticing a dependence on them that I did not like. I wrote a post on it, but I gathered some research on the matter, and I thought I'd share it with you. I knew that eating too many carbs could make you crave them, so I looked up on the internet articles relating carbohydrates to hunger. I found a good amount of information, but here are a few quotes.

"When we eat a meal, we have a reasonable expectation that the food will make us feel full. But we know from our experience that this expectation is not always fulfilled.

It depends on what we eat even more than on how much we eat.

It is carbohydrates that can make you hungry. And, unless you are consciously trying to starve yourself, when you are hungry, you eat more. And when you eat more, you gain weight.

In his important new book, Good Calories, Bad Calories(Alfred A. Knopf, 2007) science writer Gary Taubes carefully reports on the studies that trace the connection running between carbohydrates to hunger and then to insulin and on to weight gain. The chapters there on “The Carbohydrate Hypothesis” are well worth the consideration of anyone with diabetes.
when we don’t consume many carbohydrates, then consuming fat does not lead to weight gain.
http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/17/18362/eating-make-hungry/"

This was the site that explained it the best in the most concise way.

Since I like breads a lot, I have gome to whole wheat and no white sugar options. And they still taste good, the are filling and I ry to keep the consumption under "my" control, not the dough's. Keep springing, girls!

No comments: