Friday, November 6, 2009

Gut Bombs (or Flax Seed Muffins)

These muffins are loaded with good stuff and really help clean out your system.

1 1/2 cups unbleached wheat flour
3/4 cup whole ground flaxseed meal
3/4 cup oat bran
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 apples (peeled and shredded)
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots (or zucchini)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
3/4 cup fat free milk
2 eggs (or enough egg substitute to equal 2 eggs)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Stir together all ingredients. Spray muffin pan with fat free cooking spray. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. makes about 20-24 muffins.
Store muffins in fridge to maintain freshness.
Each muffin is only 93 calories, 3 grams of fiber, and only 1 Weight Watcher point.

You can also add: applesauce, crushed pineapple, dried blueberries, etc.

6 comments:

Mary said...

Gut Bombs - LOL! Well, as funny as they sound, I'll bet a person would lose a few pounds after eating one or two!

Great recipe...I'll give it a try...thanks!

Crunch, crunch, crunch!

Joy said...

Hi Deanna,
There are some ingredients in these bomb muffins we can´t get here, but I´m sure going to try them. A clean gut gives an all-over good feeling. Thanks for sharing. Joy

Karen said...

Deanna or anyone from Spain, Wondering how to adjust this recipe with what we have available. If anyone figures it out, post it please. Here are my first thoughts...
I'm pretty sure I can find flaxseed meal in the health food store and perhaps oat bran. What would be the diff between oat bran and oats that I whirl in the blender?

Brown sugar for all the Spaniards out there is white sugar and as much molasses as you care to add (the more the darker). I would try them w/Splenda (from the US) and a teaspoon of molasses.

For the eggs I would try one egg and two whites to lighten it or maybe even 3 whites!

I wish I had one right now! Thanks for posting Deanna!

Joy said...

Karen,
Health food store sells flax seed (semillas de lino/dorado); you can grind them in a coffee mill.
You can also buy pure brown sugar there, and it is better for you than the processed kind. I don´t do any artificial sweetners, so I´d just cut it down to 3/4 cup and it shouldn´t hurt the flavor too much.
Oat bran is the outside of the oats and so better than the oatmeal itself. In spanish it is called "salvado de avena" and you can also buy it at the "herbolario".
Since we can´t get the fat-free Spam spray, I´d buy a pump (got mine at "Makro") and spray with virgin olive oil. Hope that helps. Joy

Unknown said...

leave it to you, Deanna!!

Gotta love this recipe!
I will try them!

Thanks for the tip!

Crunchin
Dani JOy

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of flax seed. I'll have to try these!
-Tricia