Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fitness tip - The "Innocent" Causes of Weight Gain

I got this today. I´m so understanding this as it was one of my dh favorite lines "just a little bit won´t hurt", but turns out that those little bits add up rather quickly and they do make a difference in the long run. This came in an e.mail today from Joy Bauer.
Love,
Joy


The 'Innocent' Causes of Weight Gain

If you tend to grab a handful of cereal or a spoonful or two of ice cream while serving yourself a bowl, listen up. All those little extras have a way of compounding over time, and the caloric tally at day's end can be pretty sobering. Think about it — some brands of ice cream and granola contain nearly 300 calories per 1/2 cup, which means a mere tablespoon clocks in at 40 calories. Even something as innocent as cottage cheese or fruit salad can do damage if you habitually pop spoonfuls into your mouth. In fact, for many people, these little "appetizers" are a major cause of diet failure or the dreaded plateau.

The best way to nix the noshing habit is to keep your mouth otherwise occupied. Try chewing a piece of gum or sipping a no–cal beverage (like water, coffee, or tea) when you're cooking or putting together a meal or snack. Cut–up veggies are another good choice; not only do they keep you from sampling the wares, but they also start filling you up before your hit the main course.


Joy Bauer - Member's Newsletter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks Joy. I just finished making oatmeal cookies of which I sampled about 2 cookies worth. Because they were not cookies yet, I wasn't considering the calories. Now I know better. This will help me be more careful next time!

Thanks, Kathryn :-)

Unknown said...

Such a great tip! thank you! I was doing this after Christmas a lot. And thus the plateau. I think I am working hard at not snacking and munching aimlessly. Lord willing I can keep this in mind.

Thanks for sharing this!

Dani Joy