Thursday, November 3, 2011

A look at the church's role in health and fitness

Hi Ladies,

Since coming to Russia a little over 11 years ago, my husband and I have both noticed a very intersting fact. There is a huge difference in size comparing the average Russian to the average American. Even though we already knew there was a huge obesity problem in the states, it becomes much more obvious when you go to a foreign country where it is unusual to see very obese people.

As an RN, I have become so concerned about the people in the churches that support us across the country. We have so many people who have health problems at a young age that could largely be prevented by regular exercise and proper eating habits.

I read an interesting article along this line just the other day. I must put a disclaimer on it, that I am not endorsing the doctor or the ministry that he is working with. I just thought it was a very interesting article, and worth the several minutes it will take to read. I know Dani Joy will especially find this interesting, as I know she has such a burden for the ladies in the churches she visited last year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-daniel-amen/how-to-stop-churches-from_b_1021901.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk3%7C107962

Tami

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I will have to take a look at that link. ;) thanks for sharing! I really am interested in this as you said. It has become a big part of my ministry.

oh I don´t think the cartoon you posted is working so I saved it as a draft. Not sure what happened.

Dani Joy

Stephanie said...

Looked at the article & went WOW! I have to say I've often wondered myself about trying to eat a Garden of Eden type diet, but have always figured there's NO WAY I could get rid of all the carbs I love! :P After reading the article I think that the weekly accountability in a small group is a GREAT tool! :)